Tonight kept me fairly busy. My new hydrometer came in the post so I decided to rack my pumpkin over. My OG was 1.051. It finished up at 1.011. Not too bad. I drank the sample and it had a taste I couldn't put my finger on. What was disappointing was the wonderful aroma that was present after boil is now gone. I am going to let it sit for three weeks and then keg it and carb and see how it goes. We'll see. I just hope it's drinkable.
Today I brewed a Pumpkin Pie Ale. Not sure what to name it yet, but I am sure I will have something clever. The end result smelled fantastic. Lets hope that it tastes just as good. This was my second all grain effort and again I am disappointed with a few things. Again, I missed my mash temp by 9 degrees. Was aiming for 154 and only got 145. Would have been fine but I forgot to have a pot of boiling water to fix it. So it went for 10 minutes and a half gallon later only up to 150... I left it there. Not sure what effect that would have had on my efficiency. Speaking of which it was horrible as well. I missed my SG target by 10 points. This resulted in the stellar efficiency of 54%. I need to figure out a way to get that higher. I think I need to watch someone do a batch sparge to compare methods. And to top things off I dropped my hrydrometer into an empty brewpot. Check out the pictures here.
But with all that, I made beer, so all is well..
Finally, I can ferment again at an appropriate temperature. Yesterday I ordered ingredients to make three beers. First will be a pumpkin ale. I hope to brew that next Friday. After that I have CJ's JPA and an Oatmeal Stout.
Looks like what little bit of Peat Porter won't quite make it until one of these batches are drinkable... We'll see how it goes.