Well I finally got all the kinks out of my new ghetto rig. Someday I will actually build a stand for it. But, in the mean time it works. Today I made an Ordinary Bitter. I wonder what my efficiency was like this go around, but I forgot to recalibrate my refractometer to my software. I was going to do a hydro, but forgot before I got it in the fermenter. The picture to the left is the cooling stage. It was nice. Rolling boil to 75 in about 35 minutes. I used a 16 lb bag of ice and it was gone in about 10 minutes. If I had two bags, I bet I could cut that time even more. I think the pump was really a good purchase. I would say it cut close to 40 minutes off my total time. Even more once I get my routine down pat. Next up is Garrett's Honey Porter (finally). And then a wit I think. I am still working on a recipe. Any of you local readers know where I can score some whole chammomile?
Also, today I had the boil kettle a little too close to my storage chest. You can see a little area where it metled a bit. Good thing I noticed it. I will post more later. I have some pictures of my new stirplate and also the ghetto fermentation cooler.
So it has been a while since my last post. The HD on the laptop ate it big time. It started making a couple errors so I figured I would back it up. Well it completly failed while backing up. Big time bummer, lost all my data. So I have been starting from scratch.
This week was spring break for school and I failed to get a brew done. That is not to say I did not try. I had the water ready and was about to dough in, but I couldn't get the pump to work the way I needed it to. I had to abort to work out some of the kinks. I am really not sure what it is. It seemed to work fine on my trial run. I will probably try again on Tuesday.
Last night was the First State meeting. Shelley and I had such a good day together and we totally forgot about it. Well, until 10 pm that is. Oh well, we'll have to make the next one.